- Hard Drive Health Check:
smartctl -a /dev/hda
Self test statistics on Primary IDE Master Drive. Look out for any self test failures and Drive temperatures not going much higher than 50C
Other devices: /dev/hdb - Primary Slave, /dev/hdc - Secondary Master etc.
smartctl -a /dev/sda
Similarly for first SATA Drive. /dev/sdb is second SATA drive and so forth...
- RAID 1 Synchronization status across all drives:
Any RAID partitions that are NOT showing UU (i.e. _U or U_) are NOT synchronized.
- LIST all PCI/PCIe Devices:
- LIST all Connected and Active USB Devices:
- Ethernet connections statistics and IP addresses:
To show individual device example:
Look out for errors particularly dropped, overruns, frame and carrier. Could indicate either cable, remote device, NIC or driver problems.
- Ethernet connection status:
Will show current link speed e.g. 100Mb or 1000Mb and status (i.e. full or half duplex) for a given ethernet device.
- GRUB command to rewrite boot section of Replaced HDD in RAID 1 setup:
Once the GRUB prompt appears issue the following commands:
This ensures either drive can run a full boot if the other fails when a failed drive has been replaced.
Note: GRUB = GRand Unified Boot loader.